The oldest homestead in Lancaster County
The 1719 Hans Herr House, built in that year by Christian and Anna Herr, is the oldest surviving house in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. It is the oldest original Mennonite meeting house still standing in the Western Hemisphere.
The 1719 Hans Herr House and Museum collects, preserves, and interprets artifacts relating to the history, life, and faith of Lancaster County’s first European settlers. Central to these activities is the 1719 Herr House and its immediate grounds, restored and furnished to reflect the period of 1749. With the addition of a replica Native American longhouse in the spring of 2013, the museum tells a more complete story of early Pennsylvania life.
The 1719 Hans Herr House and the Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society collaborate to host “Lancaster Roots,” a year-long schedule of concerts, classes, festivals, field trips, exhibits and sales. For the complete calendar, go to www.LancasterRoots.org.